Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Growing old

I realized that these days I have only one subject on mind: Rape.. nd before I write one more post on the same let me share this gem that I found on Face Book on growing old. I have a few more years before I reach half a century and if that is allowed to me! But this post makes me look at the same with a lighter heart.
Growing old is Awesome when you look at it like this !!!Some very true words to ponder….I hope you enjoy.
As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play, on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.They, too, will get old.I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when some body's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.
As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

10 comments:

  1. The last part , eating dessert every day is not going to keep the doc away like the apples. Pun apart it is a wise and sane statement to take in spirit.

    It is plain and simple truth that only those have been shattered on the rock of despair will know what bliss is.

    Personally, I do not see me growing wiser or mellowed , but being perhaps more tenacious and cantankerous . That is the stupid part of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. enjoy everything in moderation since you are at an age where you are not sure if you will be given many more days to enjoy the same.

      To know bliss one need to know depair.. right your are.

      I think you are being unforgiving to yourself.. it might be just a phase and hope you get over it soon. This is the age to accept oneself with all the faults... change may happen but there is no use crying over it.

      And accepting oneself at this age is necessary to be happy. And it does sets you free.

      Delete
  2. @ Happy Kitten,

    Often wisdom is found in a head that rests on young shoulders. I see it true after seeing your comment here. I understand what you advised.
    Then, old habits die hard. - perhaps this is an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anil: We must believe that we are all young!
      We need to kill our bad habits.. we need to forgive ourselves and live life to it's fullest.

      Delete
  3. even i feel that i am at that age where it is advantageous to me, no worries about schools, colleges, fees, homeworks..nothing.and have lot of time to do whatevr i want to..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am yet to reach that stage but am on my way.. will have to find ways to occupy myself then. Maybe take up some painting classes which I have always wanted to. Now that makes me look forward to it!

      Delete
  4. I have always believed that when you age gracefully, it suits you. Just as kids acting like little adults is putting off, so are adults trying to groove to youngsters' beats. Age brings you experience (if you let it!!) and certain amount of freedom to do what you like without worrying about what people would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aging gracefully is an art and I am sure you are an expert! Yes age brings us experience and wisdom too. When we were younger we were much worried about what people thought about us.. this freedom to not bother is great and let you be yourself..

      Delete
  5. yeah..I know, I have also been following the Delhi case regularly..
    hmmm, growing old? yes, from a physical aspect. I look at it another way, it is only now that I understand and appreciate things I did not give a second thought about. And then i think, so much more to learn, will I run out of time?
    Yes, I will and so I have to hurry, so much more to do, read, write.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes appreciation too.. now we take time to "smell roses".. we are less impatient when time stalls us. nd yes there is much to do.. an we are still waiting for a book from you :)

      Delete

Blog Archive

clustermap