Women in India are now being trafficked for baby boys! says UN...
Punjab and Haryana continue to exploit the girl child. A new United Nations report released on Wednesday reveals that girls and women are not only trafficked to these two states to improve the skewed sex ratio but also, and mainly, to bear male children. Once they give birth to a boy, they are usually sexually exploited and either abandoned or passed on to another man.
So far, it was believed that poor women from Bihar, Assam and West Bengal, were being trafficked to Punjab and Haryana to fill in the shortage of women for marriage. Now, the study conducted by the UNDP reveals that women are mostly trafficked to bear male children. “The woman is either abandoned or passed on to another man after the birth of the male child,” the study — covering India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal — says.
- ► 2013 (16)
- ► 2012 (74)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2010 (34)
- ► 2009 (52)
- ► 2008 (78)
- Nuclear deal...finally some light in this room..
- A Happy Onam to the Mallus all over the world
- Paper thin batteries
- No Barking blease!
- Trafficking for another reason..
- Mother Teresa - Food for thought
- Another land grabbing thwarted!
- The nuclear deal… can someone switch on the light...
- Idiot Box is being appreciated!
- The in-famous mallu
- Parampara Mixes
- Sister Abhaya - Finally
- Happy Independance Day
- More love and not less...
- A Father's Prayer
- The unwanted Girl Child
- Good To Great
- ▼ August (23)