Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Chronic Literary Freak

I am a chronic literary freak. Now what does this mean? It just means that I am addicted to reading! I have been doing so from the day I could decipher the English language. If I am not reading but sitting somewhere idly, my eyes probe around for any literature that may be around.
It could be anything – flyers, magazines, books… If I am not reading, I may be thinking of what I have read or what I want to write. Could that be an addiction? A sweet one though!

Talking about books- who can resist a good one? And now the internet users are blessed with E-books. I am a fan of late Sydney Sheldon. During college it was my aim to buy his book as soon as it was on the stands. But slowly life became a mad rush and I found no time to indulge myself in a book.. and then I found out that most of his books are available online! Wow! And now I can safely say that I have read them all.
Then comes Robin Cook.. one cannot read it in the same pace as Sydeny's books – go slowly – and sometimes when I think about a story I am in doubt if it was a movie or a book since the imaginary pictures are so vivid in my mind.

Romantic novels – Barabara Cartland, Milla & Boons and Hallequin Romance – unfortunately I couldn’t get my hands on a BC novel online as yet.

My all time favourite is “Thelma” – a novel set in Norway. It is an old fashioned love story but the girl Thelma is so sweet that one falls in love with her ever so easily.
Oh yes I cannot forget Ayn Rands’ novels. I believe one shouldn’t read it when one is young. It gives you lofty ideas in this imperfect world. Can any man be like Roark? And isn’t it easy for a young girl to fall in love with this character?
I came upon Khalil Gibran only late.. and I love the way he writes.. his depictions are so meaningful.

Khalil on children...

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

How True!

dont we love to make our children think, talk like us? make them walk the same paths that we tread? stop from them taking unknown roads, stop them from knowing unknown souls...

3 comments:

  1. I loved sheldon when i was in school. though never had enough of him and had to move to some romantic ones by Danielle Steel. Than some one introduced me to the word of the Jeffery archer. That was the time and this is the time. I am trying to finish all of his nobels.

    The fling was too strong to last and presently i read but jwheb i get time from my work at the software industry of India.,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Santhosh..

    So dont u love Sydney anymore?

    Even I like Jeffrey Archer.. and his novels are also available online..

    Thanks for passing by..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have downloaded the complete collection of sheldon fron esnips few days back. presently trying to finsih those which i have not done.. will try to do so if i get time.

    i mostly love thriller and suspence more than romance.

    You can always visit my blog @ http://Blog.KrishnaUsha.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

clustermap